Saturday, June 19, 2010

Stepping Out


I love photographs in which people appear to be stepping out of the photograph.

They are proving they can exit the two-dimensional plane at any moment, and join us in our three-dimensional present.

It's a bit disconcerting.

I'm not sure if this effect "caught on" in photographs or photographs used on postcards.

I haven't seen many like this in any case.

For some reason, this postcard reminds me of the art of Peter Milton.

I like his work quite a bit. He maintains a website where you can see every piece of art that he's ever released.

Reverse: No writing. Printing is standard: POST CARD and a reminder of where to put your CORRESPONDENCE and your ADDRESS. PLACE STAMP HERE which doesn't give price, but you can be sure this is from the "one cent" postal period.

And people probably bitched about the price of postage.

2 comments:

  1. Stepping out of the two-dimensional plane . . . fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look like a photograph Milton would interpolate into one of his etching collages.

    One from the mid seventies.

    I love the book of his art Chronicle put out.

    It was worth every penny, because I couldn't find the damn thing cheap anywhere--not even on ABE.

    ReplyDelete